Monday, October 28, 2013

THE "GF MINISTRY OF FOOD"

Did I talk to you about the "run-in " I had with the council after a recent BUSINESS NETWORKING MEETING?  

Well, the nuts and bolts of the matter was that I turned up with 35 others for such a meeting to be served up the biggest, most sugar/fat laden morning tea I have seen in a long while.

Apart from the fact that the morning tea was way larger than even 35 persons could consume in three meetings, the food values were severely scewed, the quantity was out of proportion to the needs, and the wastage was considerable (and we won't talk about cost because I could only guess at that!).  I spoke to the council, who emailed me a terse reply in the first instance to let me know that "they had no intention of changing the formats of the meetings".  They have since contacted me to let me know that "because they said they had no intention of changing the format, didn't mean they weren't going to change the format".  They certainly indicated that the food would change.   And that is where I left it with them.

I don't think it's a GF matter, but it is a food matter (by the way the only GF food there was a small plate of fruit and a pile of macarons - this is not unusual).

I am "keeping on keeping on" and will contact Amanda Millar our Parliamentary member and Jennifer Anderson our Council member.  Not that they can do anything, but they should be aware of what is happening especially as we know we are in the middle of an epidemic of obesity and diabetes.  Both food/sugar related problems.  Council should be leading the charge to change, not escalating the problem.

I would be interested to get your feedback.

Went to OLIVE JONES again this week, and had a most lovely Spanish Red wine to accompany the GF Spring Rolls which are served as part of their TAPAS menue.  One serve really is enough for two as a snack.  These are crispy filo like pastry (probably won-ton wrapper) about the diameter of a fifty cent piece, stuffed with avocado asparagus tips and other goodies.  Absolutely delicious and perfect for a mid-afternoon snack.  I am usually there about 3.30 and 4pm on a Sunday which is between service.  It is quiet and just perfect.  I leave before the evening crowd arrive.

The MT.MACEDON TRADING POST, which serves a great soy latte, unfortunately is a bit ordinary when it comes to gluten free.  They used to serve GF toast with wonderful home made jam, but that seems to be forgotten in favour of very sweet flourless cakes.   They have a huge range of wonderul food, but nothing really is GF.  Sorry about that!!!

GF LONGEVITY SOUP -  for those who have asked this week.
(One serve).  1 tablespoon of miso dissolved in 4 cups of water.  Add dried shitake mushrooms, and dried eschallots, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, half a cup of green peas (can be frozen), a couple of sheets of Nori seaweed cut into strips or confetti, and fresh herbs finely chopped.  I also add crushed garlic and/or ginger.  Then I let it stand a while for the dried things to plump up - then microwave for about 2 minutes....This is a wonderful, nourishing soup, and by itself meets half of your water needs for the day!  (I have a problem drinking 8 cups).

No comments:

Post a Comment