Thursday, October 17, 2013

A LOT FOR A LITTLE..

Further to my "food conversion" since I have been GF, I was talking to Deb this morning about the cost of food.  I have grown up cooking to a budget, so it comes easily to me, and the yogis I teach and work with mostly feel the same way - there is no reason to go hungry or eat bad food.

For example.  This week I purchased a kangaroo roast.  It was bigger than I usually buy and cost me $6.23.  This roast I cut in half.  With just one half I have had a roast dinner complete with potatoes, onions, mushrooms, spinach, and a herb salad from the garden.   I made a stroganoff with some of the left overs it was wonderful, and I still have enough left for slices of cold meat this lunchtime.  If I have the same success with the other half, the meat for each meal would have cost $1.  The salad I got from the garden, and the other vegies were purchased from our Fresh Food Green-Grocer, and didn't cost much either.  The potatoes were $1.49 a kilo as were a tray of meaty mushrooms.  Talk about economy!

Whilst Deb was here Katie came in and added to the conversation with her experiences making jams, preserves, butters and now cheese. I make jam in the microwave and it is so fast I can do it whilst I am doing other things.   I think we came to the conclusion that if your parents were self sufficient or even marginally so, eventually you would come to them.  Not that you had paid attention, but felt confident that if they had a great veggie garden, made jam, made wine etc etc. you could too.

Apparently the folk from Vacola who make preserving utensils, bottles etc are noticing a change in demographic of the purchasers, and those who make enquiries - they are getting younger.

It is so satisfying to do things yourself.  Please google what you want to do, and then do it.  If you have any queries, please contact me.  If I don't know the answer I am sure someone in one of the classes will.

No comments:

Post a Comment