Wednesday, January 22, 2014

ONION JAM

Some time ago I gave you a recipe for onion jam.  Yesterday I made a batch, (another batch) for myself... It is fabulous, and so easy in the microwave.  You don't have to be exact with the measurements, but you do have to cook until the liquid is "thickish".  Not too much sugar please.  Makes it sickly.


1kg white onions peeled and cut up into thin chunks.  You can cut it up very small if you want, I cry too much!, half a cup of olive oil, 75g raisins or craisins (I use craisins), 150ml of white vinegar, 1 cup of dark brown sugar.  

Cut up the onions and pop them in a large covered bowl with the oil into the microwave.   Cook in blasts of 6minutes take out and stir.  Repeat until the onion is soft and transparent.  

Whilst that is happening put the sugar, vinegar, and craisins in a jug (a good time to clean up).  

When the onion is cooked, add the contents of jug - sugar, vinegar and craisins.  Stir it in well and microwave for about 10 minutes, then take out and stir.  Repeat until the juice is thick, and mostly absorbed.  Put in jars whilst hot, cap and leave to cool.  Refrigerate when open.

You can eat this with cheese, salad, meat - the meal can be hot or cold.  Definitely gluten free!

Talking about that.  This morning I went into Woodend, and as our usual coffe place is closed for the summer, I went to the Village Larder.  Its been ages since I coffee'd there.  I ordered a soy latte, and asked three times if their muffins supposedly gluten free, were actually gluten free.  They assured me they were, but they just looked AND TASTED absolutely fantastic.  Just like a regular muffin.

As I was paying and waxing lyrical about the muffins, the waitress asked if I had tasted the gluten free bread?  well I haven't but I can assure you I will, and when I do I will report the results here.  It's a good excuse to go out and do it, just so I can tell you of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment