Sunday, January 12, 2014

ADVENTURES IN HONEY AND PANCAKES

I had the first peek at the hive yesterday.  It was quite warm and the bees were out doing other things, so John came over and took advantage of the warm weather to look at the production thus far.  It was better than expected.  There are hardly any big stands of flowers or blossom at the moment, everywhere is very dry, nevertheless, the bees had been hard at work.  We had quite a lot of honey.  When he pulled up the frames you could see honey in the uncapped chambers glinting in the sun.  We should get a few kilos when it is full, especially when the "super" (a box on top of the present box) is added.  We do plan a viewing on one of the Teacher Training mornings, but I won't be able to give you notice,  It will happen when conditions are right and when John is available.

I did write in my last blog about the wonderful strawberry/berry cream cheese I made.  Hoping you will too.  It was simple.  I bought a cheap "on sale" tub of yoghurt for 50cents (the big litre tub).  It was on its last used-by-day is why it was cheap I guess, not that the yoghurt bacteria care about the date on the tub!  I got one of our splendid NUT MILK BAGS,  squooshed some berries into the yoghurt,  put the yoghurt in the bag, pulled the drawstring, and hung it above a bowl overnight.  That is it.  Nothing else required.

For lunch yesterday I had three smallish gluten free pancakes with a scoop of my beautiful cream cheese, and some berries on the side.  I could have also dribbled some fantastic liquer acoss the top ("Disaronno" is perfect), but I was going out later, so I didn't do that.  It was lovely just as it was.  The berries in the picture are all from my garden - raspberries, blackcurrants, marionberries (and strawberries in the cream cheese).  Imagine the wonderful honey pancakes with my own honey.....

No comments:

Post a Comment