Saturday, November 9, 2013

THE QUESTION OF OATS AND RICE

GLUTEN FREE OATS
We all know that oats themselves don't contain gluten, but unfortunatly they may be processed in places where wheat is processed and therefore there may be cross contaimation.  You can of course get gluten free oats, but have you checked the price tags?  Not tiny, although I did get a special at Coles this week.  They were off loading FREEDOM FOODS oats for $2.50.  Quite a find, but unfortunately there will not be another opportunity like this in a while.

The other day I did purchase some fantastic mixed grain cereal which implied it was gluten free, and because it came in a plain wrapper and was in a health food store I cooked with it.  Although I only used a little, the effect was swift.  Stomach pains, gas, etc.  I have found I have to be really, really careful.

This morning I had a really creamy GF oat porridge with curls of real butter and dark brown sugar.  It was heavenly.

OAT OPTIONS
Have you tried bran?  Cheaper than gluten free oats.  Chia seed bran is particularly nutty and high in protein and is not as gloopy as psyllium or oat bran (which is a bit like eating cardboard).  I don't like rice flakes, except combined with GF oats.  Rolled Quinoa makes a lovely gluten free porridge or oatmeal, just cook it the way you do oats.

REGARDING RICE...
People tell me that rice is gluten free, BUT last nite I went out to tea and had the usual Japanese sushi supposedly prepared by a Japanese cook, and all night I tossed and turned with shocking stomach pains and the trots.  The only thing I had that was different was the sushi?  Anyone out there suffered the same fate from rice?

I must admit at home I only use rice after I have thoroughly rinsed it before during and after cooking.  Having done this longish process, I find my stomach quite comfortable.  It is worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment