Thursday, August 1, 2013

In The Soup

What better on a day that is threatening snow, than to cook up a big pot of soup.  GF of course.  Nothing is better for what ails one, than a soup that starts out with a few chicken carcasses.  And nothing is cheaper and more wholesome.  Yes, vegans and vegetarians out there will argue with me (as I would have done for 50 years), but now I eat meat in moderation and love a good soup, I can say that for me, chicken broth is a winter staple.

I thought that everyone knew how to make a simple soup, but I am asked often how to do it.  Keeping in mind you are asking a person who doesn't own a stove, I am about as radical a soup maker as you can get.  I use a microwave.

Purchase about 3 carcasses for a 7 serve soup.  Add carrots, a leek, celery and any other vege you have to hand and boil them up together.  Make sure that the water covers both the vegetables and the bones.  I advise boiling for about an hour,  in 15 minute increments. If you have a pressure cooker, an electric frypan, or a pot on top of a gas or electric stove (or even better, combustion), the recipe will be the same, but the time taken will change.

Once you have boiled up the soup, take out the bones, strip them of any meat and add to soup, and discard bones.  Then you could add a cup of rice if you need a bit more body in the soup, and boil up again until the rice is soft.  You may need to add more liquid..   You could also add grated or torn herbs, parsley for instance.  Season to taste.  Take out a big bowl of soup for you, then divide the rest into 6 or 7  (or more) larger plastic cups and freeze for later.  Fabulous, full of goodness, and about $1 a serve.  AND IT IS GLUTEN FREE.

If you take my previous advice and make your own bread from packet bread mix (Orgran).  Add seeds, nuts, yoghurt, and grated carrot to the mix and you will have an interesting and tasty GF bread for a fraction of the price of GF bread at the supermarket.  A dollop of home made yoghurt will complete the meal.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment